Herring eggs sickness unusual
Island Health and its partners are working to determine future risk factors for seafood contamination.
That’s after a small cluster of people got sick after eating herring eggs harvested in the French Creek and Qualicum Bay areas.
It happened this past March and community members were advised not to consume herring eggs havested from the area and the harvest was halted for the season.
Island Health says those who got sick were suffering from Vibrio cholera bacteria infections.
The bacteria, usually associated with the consumption of shellfish, does not frequently cause illnesses in people and is not the type transmitted by human waste nor is it spread between people.
This type of bacteria has appeared intermittently in Pacific coastal waters in the US and Canada.