The City of Nanaimo says the Automated Defibrillators they installed at local rinks have helped save another life.
Last Thursday a 34 year old player went into cardiac arrest on the bench during a game.
A teammate and a goalie from the other team, who’s a paramedic, did CPR and used the AED to shock the man’s heart. He’d regained consciousness by the time he was taken to NRGH. The City says he’s doing well and should fully recover.
Nanaimo started putting AEDs in public facilities in 2008. So far they’ve been used at the Nanaimo Ice Centre in 2009 and at Cliff McNabb Arena in 2010.
In a statement released Monday morning, Darrne Chadwick, the paramedic/goalie involved says, “Early CPR and the right equipment on hand is super important. With these two things people will survive. I have experience but you don’t need it if you have the right equipment. The AED made a difference, every little bit just makes it easier.”