Listen Live

HomeNewsIsland & CoastSD46 sees record number of applications for fire academy 

SD46 sees record number of applications for fire academy 

School District 46 says students across the region got the chance to test their skills during Junior Fire Fighter Academy. 

Twenty-seven students applied to take part in the third year of the fire academy, and career coordinator Cathy Gordon says students get hands-on learning about all aspects of learning what it takes to become a firefighter. 

“The hands-on learning is extremely extensive,” she says. “In the mornings, students learn how a fire burns and why it burns through different scenarios.” 

Gordon says students are eager to apply, but to be accepted into the academy they must qualify through a set criteria. 

“Students are required to do a fitness test as part of the application process,” she says. “We also have a panel with personnel from fire departments in Sechelt, Gibsons, WildFire and myself to interview the candidates.”  

- Advertisement -

According to the district, completion opens the doors for future pathways in several key fields in emergency services and are not just limited to applying as a firefighter.  

Gordon says the students have felt inspired to venture into their chosen pathways and adds they gained knowledge and confidence because of the program. 

“They can go into medical services, firefighting, paramedicine,” she says. “It is kind of an inspiring hand-on activity with the school credits.” 

She says students can continue to further their education after they finish the academy with three additional days of training. 

“Students can get their certifications in incident command systems and basic fire suppression and safety,” she says. 

This year students from Chatelech Secondary, Elphinstone Secondary, and Pender Harbour Elementary Secondary attended the academy.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading