Spontaneous combustion pegged as cause of minor fire in Sechelt mall
The Sechelt Fire Department says spontaneous combustion of rags soaked in oils for treating wood was the likely cause of a minor fire at the Trail Bay Mall.
The fire broke out around 6am, Saturday in SLO, a shop that specializes in locally made wood crafts.
While there wasn’t much damage, Sechelt firefighters faced a major challenge in getting the smoke cleared from the store. They brought in heavy-duty evacuation fans and hoses to suck the smoke to the outside.
The mall was able to open as usual that morning.
Fire Chief Bill Higgs sends this link on how spontaneous combustion fires happen.