Listen Live

HomeNewsIsland & CoastYouth from central Vancouver Island attend Nanaimo RCMP training camp 

Youth from central Vancouver Island attend Nanaimo RCMP training camp 

A mini version of the RCMP Training Academy hosted youth from across Central Vancouver Island to provide students in grades 10 to 12 the chance at experiencing what it is like to what police life is like.  

According to a media release youth participated in a five-day training intense course where they learned a variety of police-based skills including understanding the Criminal Code, self-defense, water survival, testifying in court, note-taking, and collecting evidence.  

Retired constable Gary O’Brien said to in order for an event of this caliber to take place a lot of pieces need to fall into place from several different agencies.  

“This is a logistical challenge and requires months of planning, commitment, and dedication from a variety of police officers, and outside agencies,” he said. “We had support from Nanaimo RCMP and officers from Port Alberni, Oceanside, and North Cowichan/Duncan.”  

According to RCMP student safety was always their top priority and the facilitators took every step to ensure youth, including having 10 officers on site at all times along with officials from school districts 68, 69, 70, and 79. 

- Advertisement -

Corporal Jana Rose said the camp was rewarding for the students but watching the group come together gave the training team gratification.  

“There were times some of the candidates doubted their choice in attending,” she says. “With the support of their classmates, they were able to handle and overcome any challenge they faced.  

“At the end of the day, it was gratifying to see them work together to achieve personal and team goals.” 

Superintendent Lisa Fletcher said the experience brought back fond memories and she is proud of everyone who attended.
“I had the opportunity to be involved in an RCMP youth camp as a School Liaison Officer,” she said. “To attend as detachment commander and present these awards to the youth is a profound circle, I am very proud of.” 

Central Vancouver Island Crime Stoppers provided the funding to cover the enrollment fee of four students to attend. 

The RCMP youth camp was held in Nanaimo from July 3 to 7. 

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading