Joggers flashed at Westwood Lake
Nanaimo RCMP are warning people to be wary after an indecent exposure incident at Westwood Lake on April 1. Two women were jogging along the back side of Westwood around 7:30pm on Tuesday when a man exposed his genitals.
Constable Gary O’Brien says the women saw a man wearing a black windbreaker and black pants running towards them.
O’Brien says officers were unable to track the man down. He’s described as short, white and in his 50s. He may have been wearing a mask because the women said his face looked extremely wrinkly and had a mask-like appearance. He also wore a black hoodie pulled over his head and tight to his face.
Westwood Lake is one of the more popular parks in the City of Nanaimo, used by thousands of runners, hikers and outdoor enthusiast. Unfortunately incidents like this do sometimes happen. O’Brien says it’s important not to let an isolated occurrence ruin your plans. He says there are some basic safety tips that can help you stay safe:
-Run or walk with a friend. It not only makes it more enjoyable but also provides and extra set of eyes and ears
– Be aware of your surroundings. Scan your environment and look to see who is behind you and who may be approaching
– If wearing ear buds, keep the volume at a level so you can hear if someone is approaching
– Carry a cell phone or whistle with you and report any incident to the police immediately.
– If confronted, remove yourself from the situation as quick as possible
– Always tell someone where you are going and when you are expected back
If anyone has information on this incident, please call Nanaimo RCMP at 250-754-2345 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.