As the mercury drops, local firefighters are reminding the public of some general safety tips when it comes to staying warm.
Matt Gilroy with the Sechelt Fire Department says one of the major causes of houses fires on the Sunshine Coast last year was people cleaning out their fireplaces and not disposing of the ashes properly.
Umesh Lal of Nanaimo Fire Rescue says it’s a good idea to let qualified personnel look over your winter appliances.
Lal adds that people shouldn’t dry their clothes near wood-burning appliances.
Major causes of houses fires in Sechelt are connected to portable heaters and extension cords.